12/09/2003

Running hills at the Tan.

We met at Anderson Street (Royal Botanical Gardens, otherwise known as the Tan) for a nostalgic 'hills' session. I haven't run here for many years, and I had of course forgotten how hard this session is. So I was looking forward to it.

I drove into East Melbourne, found parking restrictions had been further tightened and drove back to the Treasury Gardens. That meant a warmup jog of about an extra kilometre. The Tan was extra busy with serious runners, casual joggers and people just out walking. I met the group at the Tan starting their warmup. We did about twenty minutes of jogging, stretches and strides, then started.

On each repeat, we ran the entire side of the Gardens, right up to where the path turns the corner into Domain Road. It's a relentless climb to the peak and then you try to maintain a good pace over the top to the downward curve.

Ten Anderson Street hills later, I was spent. Some of the group were going over the river to Olympic Park to watch the Zatopek 10k on the track. I went home, walked the dogs around the block and then had dinner.

No comments: