10/28/2004

Guessing the age of a dog.

Maybe there's a way, but I don't know. Blue is brindle, medium to small for a greyhound, and well-behaved. We don't have any papers, so we don't know his background or anything about him.

(We will find out more from Melanie, the lady from the Greyhound Adoption Program. There is a photograph of Melanie at the Seymour kennels in this article, essential reading for anyone interested in greyhounds or animal welfare. Registration is required and easy.)

When walking, Blue stops dead if he sees people, dogs, cars - anything - approaching. He is very timid. So far I have taught him to take food - gently - from my hand (initially he was hand-shy, he would move away if a hand came near him) and to walk up and down steps. Table-surfing we are working on. Last night he stole a pat of garlic-and-parsley butter I'd set aside to go onto a piece of steak. Up he came behind me - I didn't hear him because of the sizzling steak - paws on the kitchen bench and swipe! before I could say No! He loved it.

He's a lovely boy. In the next week or two he will start to be more affectionate and less diffident. I wonder what happened to him in his earlier - racing - life.

Hmm.

No comments: