1/30/2005

Day Three.

We had to go out twice. First, during the day. The dogs were fine when I got back. I checked everything (I'm quite the detective) and found paw marks in the dust on the sill of the only window reachable from the yard. Chris had had his feet up there seeing if he could get in.

Otherwise all OK.

Went out in the evening for a shorter time. Back in an hour. Chris had jumped the low vegetable patch fence, jumped another to get out of it into the very small sideway between the garage and the side fence. He was still there. I heard his body moving against the steel garage wall. The space was so narrow he couldn't turn around. I had to get in there myself and pick him up and carry him out. He's a big dog, one of the biggest we've fostered.

Separation anxiety. They try to follow you because they cannot be separated from the pack. They are pack animals.

Blue - another anxious dog we fostered in November - had tried a similar thing at the beach house. I came back to find that he had squeezed through a space apparently no more than six inches to get under the house. This long greyhound nose was staring at me from under the house, the rest of his body still underneath!

No comments: