2/18/2004

More boring medical stuff.

No running or race walking for a few weeks, back and hamstring are arguing with each other. I'd be running along and the hamstring would 'grab' suddenly without actually tearing, but then remain rockhard for days on end. Then it would ease, but the back would go into spasm.

I had a 3k walk race at Aberfeldie - last round of interclub - and was leading with two laps to go when the hammy locked up. Thought I'd have to pull out, but as I had never before pulled out of a race decided I wasn't going to start now. Did a quick hammy stretch and resumed - must have looked like pegleg Pete - the racewalking action is strange enough at the best of times. Held on for second in about 14:30. No real further damage to the hammy, just extremely tight for several days.

I finally went to my osteopath who always fixes this particular problem - he'd been on holidays so I was unable to see him earlier. Sure enough, he identified the condition and several manipulations later I was as good as new. I hope. Apparently the pelvis locks forward and holds the hamstring in a permanently stretched position which also pulls on the back. He ordered rest for two days then resume training. We'll see.

Meantime, on the bike at the gym, bit of swimming, exercises, etc. How. Very. Boring.

No comments: