10/29/2003

Winter training in spring.

The heavens broke over the city late afternoon and when I reached the car I made a snap decision (bad weather, getting over back strain) to head home instead of joining the training group; or at least go to the nice warm gym on the way where I could have a quick pedal, do a few stretches and then get into a nice hot spa.

Then I hit the traffic sitting at a stand-still. I wasn't going to sit in steaming traffic and watch the training group run past, so with a quick U-turn on Royal Parade I was right there at Princes Park and got out into the bad weather with misgivings.

The group numbered about seven, a bit less than usual. The session: 3 x ten minutes strong broken up by four minute jogging - a real slog through the wet and slush.

Bad weather benefit #1: the tracks are almost empty so no people- bike- and dog-dodging required. Hell, I didn't even dodge the puddles, they were too big, I just ran through them.

Back held up fine. It's on the mend. Touch wood.

No comments: